Local Resources and Links
MASSBIRD.ORG is a list of links of interest to Massachusetts birders and hosts pages for local bird clubs without charge. It is presented as a service of Bird Observer.
Bird Observer, a bimonthly journal, is THE print resource for local birding information. It has articles on where-to-go (with maps), bird ID, scientific studies, and sighting records. It is produced by an all volunteer staff (including me!)
Massachusetts Audubon Society is active in conservation, education and preservation and has sanctuaries around the state.
Have a question about natural history or wildlife regulatory matters in Massachusetts? Try sending a message to the new Mass. Division of Fisheries and Wildlife public information e-mail address.
Looking for somewhere to go birding in Essex County? Check out the Essex County Birding Trail.
Brookline Bird Club is one of the oldest (and most active) bird clubs in the USA.
NOAA Doppler Weather radar for Eastern Mass.
Tides for any location in New England. Tides are very important for coastal birding.
Coastal Marine Weather links.
Sea conditions are very important for pelagic birding.
RBAs and Chat
New England RBAs
MASSBIRD archive on Birdingonthe.net. Check it out. Get it while it's HOT!
- Conservation Through Birding
- Integrated Bird Conservation in the United States
- The Trustees of Reservations
- Essex County Ornithological Club
- The Nature Conservancy
- The Manomet Center for Conservation Sciences
- South Shore Bird Club
- Cape Cod Bird Club
- Massachusetts Land Trust Coalition
- Essex County Greenbelt Association
- American Birding Association
Latest Photos From the Birding Trenches
- Back to the land of Cajun food and Yellow Rails (11/2015)
- Lots of birds in the salt marsh along Newman Rd. in Newbury (6/2015)
- Back to Machias Seal Island and Downeast Maine for another great trip (6/2015)
- Late May trip to northern New Jersey and southern New York for neat warblers (5/2015)
- Birding Costa Rica from North to South (4/2015)
- Fabulous trip to northern Minnesota for winter boreal species, especially Great Gray Owls (2/2015)
- Up close and personal with a Gyrfalcon in New Hampshire (1/2015)
- September means back to Washington's Olympic Peninsula for another visit (9/2014)
- Our Joppa Flats July trip this year was to Western Cuba - what a great time (7/2014)!
- Back to the boreal forest of Minnesota and the prairies of North Dakota (6/1-9-2014)
- A week of casual birding in Eastern Mass, in May of course - call it a stay-cation
- Back to Big Bend National Park and the Trans-Pecos region of Texas (4-5/2014)
- What an amazing trip to Kenya and Tanzania (2-3/2014)!
- Birding in Greater Newburyport on 2/11/2014 (N.B. - warning, contains more Snowy Owl pix)
- The Winter of Snowy Owls (at least so far) in Essex County - updated 2/12/2014
- Cajun Country and Yellow Rails 2013: the birds, the food, the people - all awesome (10/29-11/4/2013)
- Harvester caterpillars, Lincoln's Sparrows, and poison ivy berry eaters in the yard (10/05/2013)
- Birding Cape Cod in September (9/27-30/2013)
- Birding southern New Jersey in September (9/7-10/20130
- The case of the wandering Piping Plover (9/2013)
- And another July trip, this time to Montana, visiting Glacier National Park and adjacent prairies (7/14-22/2013)
- Back to Yosemite, Mono Lake, and Pt. Reyes in California (6/30-7/6/2013)
- A scouting trip to Minnesota and North Dakota with fabulous results (6/2013)
- A spring trip to Cape May, New Jersey, a few photos
- A lovely day in April (4/21/2013)
- Amazing is an understatement for a trip to Botswana! Check it out (3/2013)
- Early March birds - Redpolls, Common Loons, and a Glaucous Gull in New Hampshire (3/4/2013)
- Our 2013 Leaders' Choice trip to northern New Hampshire and Vermont was a hoot with a surprise ending.
- A drake King Eider in Newburyport Harbor on 2-14-2013 (a great Valentine's Day present)
- Two Pine Grosbeaks in Newburyport on 12-12-12, female and young male
- Teaching the Certificate Program in Bird Ecology in Belize (11/26-12/4/2012)
- Peregrine Falcon study on the Plum Island Turnpike (11/24/2012)
- Finally got to see the Northern Lapwing in Bridgewater, MA (11/19/2012)
- Salisbury Beach State Reservation is creeping with crossbills (11/2012)
- Scouting trip to southwest Louisiana - Cajun Country and Yellow Rails (10/24-30/2012)
- Back to the Olympic Peninsula of Washington (9/2012)
- August photos from Massachusetts
- Joppa Flats volunteer tour to Panama (7/14-21/2012)
- After the Ecuador tour, I stooged around on my own (3/11-15/2012)
- A fabulous Mass Audubon trip to northern Ecuador (2/27-3/11/2012)
- Norm Smith released a Snowy Owl on Plum Island today (3/24/2012)
- Stooging around for a few odd birds here and there (2/20/2012)
- Leaders' Choice trip to northern New Hampshire and Vermont (2/16-17/2012)
- Lucking into a Northern Saw-whet Owl in Georgetown (12/4/2011)
- Weird Birds in Essex County: Cassin's Kingbird and a late November Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (11/26/2011)
- Harlequin Ducks and Purple Sandpipers at Andrews Point (Nov. 20, 2011)
- Funky geese in West Newbury, MA (Nov. 19, 2011)
- A great trip to Southern California for Joppa Flats (September 2011)
- Summer Seabirds and Whales trips with Newburyport Whalewatch and Mass Audubon (2011)
- Joppa Flats Volunteer trip to Montana (7/2011)
- Birding West Texas from El Paso to the Davis Mountains to Big Bend National Park (5/2011)
- Another great tour to Belize with Mass Audubon (2-3/2011)
- A vacation trip to Ecuador in February 2011
- Starting the New Year with a Golden Eagle (1/1/11)!
- A great afternoon birding on Plum Island, including a Curlew Sandpiper (10/9/2010)
- Another great trip to the Olympic Peninsula of Washington (9/2010)
- Mass Audubon and Joppa Flats and our 25th annual trip to Machias Seal Island and Downeast Maine (6/2010)
- It's May and we've got some beautiful birds in Massachusetts!
- Birding the South Carolina coastal lowlands again (4/2010, see 4/2009 trip below too)
- A birding tour to Belize with Mass Audubon (2/27-3/9/2010)
- Birding on three islands in Hawaii with Mass Audubon (2/9-19/2010)
- Various photos from a weekend trip to Rhode Island (1/23-24/2010)
- Great looks at a Rough-legged Hawk (1/16/2010)
- Summing up an extraordinary year - highlights of 2009
- Susan and I had a great anniversary vacation in Puerto Rico (12/2009)
- Brazil birding extravaganza: The Atlantic Rainforest, the Pantanal, and Chapada dos Guimaraes (10/2009)
- A scouting trip to the Olympic Peninsula of Washington (9/2009)
- Joppa Flats takes on Costa Rica (7/2009)
- Seabirds and Whales on Jeffrey's Ledge (7/6/2009)
- Mississippi Kites nesting in Newmarket, New Hampshire (7/5/2009)
- A Ruby-throated Hummingbird nest in our yard (2009)
- Another teaching trip to Belize yielded pix of a few interesting species (5/2009)
- Birding in the Coastal Lowlands of South Carolina (4/2009)
- A fabulous vacation at Chan Chich Lodge in Belize (3/2009)
- Miscellaneous birds from February 2009
- An Ivory Gull and a Northern Hawk Owl in one day (1/26/2009)!
- Back to Bosque del Apache and the Rio Grande (1/12-18/09)
- Fabulous birds in Brazil in the Atlantic Rainforest at REGUA (7/2008)
- A great trip to Botswana for Birds, Mammals, Scenery (3/11-23/2008)
- Fabulous Leaders' Choice trip to the wilds of New Hampshire and Maine (2/21-22/2008)
- Another Lump in a tree and a Short-eared meal on the Parker River NWR (1/19/2008)
- An overwintering Western Tanager in Merrimac, MA (1/17/2008)
- Getting the Lumps in Trees edition done for 2008 (1/13/2008)
- Looking for Pine Grosbeaks in all the right places (1/12/2008)
- Wednesday Morning Birding and Winter Raptors at Salisbury Beach S.R. (12/26/07)
- Hundreds of Bohemian Waxwings on the Cape Cod CBC (12/23/07)
- Lumps in trees - with fur or feathers - take your pick in Haverhill (10/21/07)
- Birding Southern California with Mass Audubon (9/30-10/5/2007)
- A great trip to Trinidad with Joppa Flats (7/14-25/2007)
- A colony of Cliff Swallows outside a grocery store (7/11/2007)
- Sneaking around looking for Virginia Rails by kayak (7/4/2007)
- Mass Audubon tour of Manitoba (6/11-18/2007)
- Adult Franklin's Gull at Sandy Point State Reservation on Plum Island (6/7/07)
- A Red-tailed Hawk dining photoessay (4/22/2007)
- We vacationed in Belize in April 2007
- Signs of Spring in Essex County (4/1/2007)
- A few photos from a quick visit to South Carolina in February (2007)
- I co-led a trip from El Paso to Albuquerque - fabulous! (1/4-10/2007)
- A Northern Shrike and three Dovekies on a 50 degree day in December? (12/17/2006)
- Semi-obscured wildlife in Haverhill (11/18/2006)
- On the last day of the season, a Green-tailed Towhee at the banding station (10/31/2006)
- Getting up-close and personal with a Long-billed Dowitcher (10/15/2006)
- Some nice shorebirds in September (9/9/2006)
- The BBC trip to Hydrographer Canyon had some great birds (8/26/2006)
- I co-led a trip to Panama in July 2006
- A great trip to Yosemite, Point Reyes, and the Farallons in July 2006
- Our annual Mass Audubon trip to Machias Seal Island and Downeast Maine (6/16-17/2006)
- The New England Coastal Wildlife Alliance (NECWA) sponsored Seabird and Whale Tales 2006 (6/11/2006)
- May 2006 had some ups and downs
- Local treats in April, avian and mammalian (4/9/2006)
- A male Black-necked Stilt is an odd bird to see in Massachusetts (4/3/2006)
- The first day of Spring leads to March Madness (3/20/2006)
- A New Hampshire heronry with a twist (3/12/2006)
- I co-led a trip to southern Texas in early February
- Lots of great birds to start the new year (1/2/2006)
- The illusive Northern Shrike appears (12/24/2005)
- Yellow-breasted Chats and Common Redpolls - odd juxtapositions (12/12/2005)
- A Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Ipswich Sparrow, and Peregrine make for a nice November day (11/27/2005)
- Sage Thrasher, Ash-throated Flycatcher, and more at PRNWR on 11/6/2005
- First known Bald Eagle nesting in the Lower Merrimack Valley - Eaglets banded on 6/8/2005
- A howling Nor'easter and phalaropes and a Ruff on the PRNWR (5/25/2005)
- Some rainy day shots and a movie clip of a displaying American Woodcock (5/8/2005)
- A Blue Grosbeak at Oak Hill Cemetery in Newburyport (5/7/2005)
- A two-fer May Day with California Gull and White-winged Dove (5/1/2005)
- Plum Island hosts a White-faced Ibis (4/26/2005)
- A Prothonotary Warbler in Marblehead (4/25/2005)
- American Woodcock on the nest (4/5/2005)
- A February yard surprise!
- We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary with a trip to Trinidad and Tobago.
Old Flashes, but they're still HOT!
2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999
Photographs by Susan here
An Unorganized list of Favorite Birding Links:
The Best Birding Web Sites -- Siskin & Egret's '4 Wings Up' Award
OWLS, OWLS, OWLS and nothing but owls
Everything you want to know about Crows
Birds are just one of the attractions in the Animal Diversity Web at the University of Michigan Museum of Zoology.
Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology and Masterpieces from the Hill Ornithology Collection at the Cornell University Library
American Birding Association
Are you interested in being a Birding Pal? This is a new and potentially interesting site for travelers.
Bird Links to the World This site has everything!
BIRDZILLA is a commercial site with a comprehensive selection of wild bird information, articles, on-line lifelist, and stuff for sale.
Birding on the Web has links and useful information like state bird lists.
Electronic Resources on Ornithology
The Fat Birder is an interesting British site with links for around the world. Worth a visit and a bookmark!
Where do you want to go birding today? is a great new site with information on international birding destinations.
Peep research: so you think you know your peeps?
Cape May Bird Observatory in Cape May, NJ is a great birding and vacation destination locus.
Comments or questions to David Larson <redpoll(at)comcast.net>
Last updated on 12/30/2015